The following is a brief history of USS KENNETH D. BAILEY's
25 year life and record of her service as a ship-of-the-line in the United States Navy.

<>The name KENNETH D. BAILEY was first assigned to DE-552 on 30 November 1943 as a
John C. Butler Class Destroyer Escort.  Plans called for her to be built at the
Boston Navy Yard at Boston. MA.  Construction was cancelled
on 10 June 1944 and the name was reassigned to DD-713
on 8 July 1944 for a contract price of $6,100,000.

The keel was laid on 21 September 1944 and launched 17 June 1945
by Federal Shipbuilding & Drydock Co., Kearny, NJ,
sponsored by Elizabeth Speissegger Bailey, widow of Major Bailey,
and commissioned 31 July 1945,
Commander Gilbert H. Richards, Jr., in command.

At 1200, officers and crew assembled aft for the Commissioning Ceremony.
Commander H.F. Sasse, USN, Assistant Captain of the Yard acting for
Captain of the Yard, representative of the Commandant, Third Naval District,
read his orders directing him to place the ship in commission in the
U.S. Naval Service.  The USS KENNETH D. BAILEY was accepted for use in the
Naval Service by Rear Admiral Freeland Allyn Daubin, USN, Commandant.

Photo below shows ship as delivered with only enough fuel to get to the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
The 40mm gun directors aft of No. 2 stack and opposite of the aft end
of the whaleboat are still not fitted.

"To the Colors" was sounded, the National Ensign, Union Jack and
Commission Pennant were hoisted and the ship was placed in commission
and delivered to the Commanding Officer, Commander Gilbert H. Richards, Jr. USN.

Commander Richards (above) reads his orders directing him to assume command
and to accept the ship.  The Commanding Officer ordered the Executive Officer
to set the watch, start the ship's time and start the ship's log.

Lieutenant Leonard E. Field, USN, assumed the duties as OOD.

BAILEY conducted a shakedown cruise at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba
from August 1945 through September 1945.

Post shakedown availability was in the New York Navy Yard from 3 October to 18 November.
Refresher training commenced at Casco Bay, Maine on 20 November.
The ship participated in eight Fleet maneuvers in the spring of 1946.

On 12 August 1946, Lieutenant L. E. Field temporarily took command before
being relieved by Commander George Franklin Pittard, USN, on 31 August 1946.

Commander Pittard was a survivor aboard the USS ARIZONA when he was a Lieutenant,
  and later served as Commanding Officer of the USS SAN DIEGO (CL-53)
before retiring as a Rear Admiral.

In March 1947 she made various ports of call in South America,
 the major one being Montevideo, Uruguay, for the Presidential Inauguration.

Commander Raymond Webb Thompson, Jr., USN, (shown below)
was in command (relieving CDR PITTARD) from 14 June 1947 to 23 August 1949.

During the period from November 1947 to March 1948
BAILEY served with the U.S. Naval Forces Mediterranean.
She departed Norfolk, Virginia on 10 November  and along the way made the following stops.

Gibralta from 11/20 to 11/24
Bone, Algeria from 11/26 to 11/29
Marsaxlokk, Malta from 12-01 to 12/05
Valletta from 12/05 to 12/08
Naples on 12-09
Genoa from 12/10 to 12/13
Naples from 12/14 to 12/15
Argostolion, Greece from 12-17 to 12/19
Nauplia, Greece from 12/20- to 12/22
Piraeus (Athens) Greece from 12/22 to 01/02/48
Leros Dodeconese, Greece from 01/03 to 01/05
Augusta, Sicily from 01/07 to 01/12
Marsaxlokk, Malta from 01/17 to 01/20
Brindisi, Italy from 01.22 to 01/24
Bari, Italy from 01/24 to 01/28
Taranto, Italy from 01/29 to 02/09
Naples from 02/11 to 02/17
Sousse, Tunisia from 02/19 to 02/24
Gibralta from 02/27 to 03/02
Arriving back to Norfolk on 3/11/48

After her return from the Mediterranean, she made three Naval Reserve Cruises
to the Caribbean.  In June 1948 BAILEY was one of the Navy's representatives
at the Poughkeepsie Regatta.  Also in June 1948, BAILEY had her overhaul at the
Boston Naval Shipyard followed by refresher training at Guantanamo Bay,  Cuba.

After the holiday leave period, she sailed for the Med departing Norfolk on January 4th. 1949 and made the following stops along the way.

Gibralta from 01/13 to 01/17
Agusta, Italy from 01/21 to 02/01
Naples from 02/05 to 02/09
Golfe Juan, France from 02/11 to 02/15
Taranto, Italy from 02/19 to 02/27
Alexandretta, Turkey from 03/05 to 03/07
Athens from 03/11 to 03/21
Argostolion from 03/26 to 03/28

Italy 1949

 The above picture was taken in Brindisi, Italy (March 31-April 4).

Trieste, Italy from 04/04 to 04/16
Venice from 04/16 to 04/22
Golfe Juan, France from 04/26 to 05/03
Oran, Algeria from 05/09 to 05/12
Gibralta from 05/14 to 05/15
Arriving back to Norfolk on 05/24/49

During the summer she made four Naval Reserve Cruises - one to
Gloucester, Mass, one to Nova Scotia, and two to New York.

On August 23, 1949, Commander E. F. Disette, USN, assumed command,
a position he held until July 28, 1950, when he was relieved by
Commander Victor B. Graff, USN (shown above).

Commander Graff was born November 21, 1914 in Hartford, Connecticut, but raised in
 Southern California.  After graduating from George Washington High School in Los Angeles
in 1931, he spent the next year attending UCLA before joining the Navy.  After two tears of enlisted
 service where he served aboard the USS TEXAS (BB-35) as a deckhand and 16" powder loader,
he was appointed to the U.S. Naval Academy and graduated with the Class of 1938.

His first assignment after graduation was aboard the USS OKLAHOMA (BB-37), which was followed
 by serving aboard several destroyers.  During WWII and the Korean War, he held six commands.

<In addition to the TEXAS, OKLAHOMA and K.D. BAILEY, he also served aboard the
USS DALLAS (DD-199) as Assistant Engineer, USS AULICK (DD-258) as Executive Officer,
USS MEADE (DD-602) as Executive Officer, USS SHAW (DD-373) as Commanding Officer,
USS MCGOWAN (DD-678) as Commanding Officer, USS KCKEE (DD-575) as Commanding
Officer, and USS FARENHOLT (DD-491) as Commanding Officer.  After leaving the BAILEY
in 1951, he went on to command the USS MONTROSE (APA-212) and USS ZELIMA (AF-49).

He also served as an Instructor at the Naval Academy; Vessel Operations Officer,
COMMSTSPAC; Planning Officer for the installation of the DEW (Distant Early Warning)
across the Canadian Northwest Territory; and Planning and Readiness Officer,

During this period he also completed a course in Industrial Management of the National Economy
from the Industrial College of the Armed Forces.  While as an Instructor at the Naval Academy,
he authored a textbook on Engineering Materials published by the Naval Institute
and for which he was listed in the publication "Who's Who in the East".

After 26 years of naval service, Captain Graff retired in July 1958. 

Captain Graff's decorations include the Command-at-Sea Insignia, the Silver Star,
two Bronze Stars with "V", a Commendation Ribbon, plus 14 Campaign Ribbons.

He was immediately employed as an instructor in the Engineering Department of City College of
 San Francisco, a position he held for ten years.  He was then selected to be the first Director,
Facilities Planning, for the newly formed San Francisco Community College District,
a position he held for 12 years before retiring again.

Since his second retirement, he became quite active in community service, serving on the
City of Milbrae Planning Commission since 1982 and on the San Mateo County
Community Development Committee for 12 years, having chaired both
for several years.  He had gone on to serve even further in the
community, (which are too much to mention) and was
frequently referred to as "Mr. Millbrae".

He passed away on January 11, 2007.

In November BAILEY participated in the Second Task Fleet Cold

 Weather Exercises, crossing the Arctic Circle on 12 November 1949.

Following the Christmas leave and holiday period,
the ship made a Naval Reserve Cruise to Kingston, Jamaica.
In January 1950, BAILEY participated in Operation PORTREX and the
CARIBBEAN EXERCISES during February and March as a unit of the Striking and
Covering Force.  The ship next participated in a Naval Reserve Cruise to New York in April
and then visited Bar Harbor on Armed Forces Day in May.

KENNETH D. BAILEY again entered the Boston Naval Shipyard in July of 1950
and remained there for the summer.  After a brief pre-refresher period she reported to
Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, for refresher training.  Upon competion of refresher training,
she returned to Newport, RI for Type-Commander and Atlantic Fleet Training Exercises.

In May 1951 the ship made a Northern Europe midshipman cruise, visiting Edinburgh
and Rotterdam (photo below) with CDR Noel A. Burkey, Jr., USN, in command.

In September 1951 BAILEY sailed for the Med again followed by a Midshipman cruise which
stopped in Lisbon and Antwerp returning to Newport for Type-Training in February 1952.

  Another midshipman cruise with visits to Lisbon and Antwerp was made in May 1952.
Upon her return to the continental US, the ship operated as a plane guard in Pensacola, FL.

Commander Burkey was born in Miles City, MT on 29 May 1918 and graduated from
Occidental College in Los Angeles in May 1940.  In July 1940, he commenced his
active duty and was assigned to the USS ASTORIA (CA-34).  There he served as
Junior Gunnery Officer and Assistant Navigator.  The ASTORIA participated in the
Battle of Coral Sea in May 1942, the Battle of Midway in June 1942, and the occupation of
Guadalcanal in August of 1942.  He was officer-of-the-deck when the allied cruiser
force came under gunfire attack from Japanese forces shortly after midnight on
August 8, 1942.  (See footnote #17).  Later that morning the ASTORIA was sunk.

From August 1942 to March 1943, Commander Burkey was Staff Signal Officer,
Commander Transports, South Pacific, where he participated in resupply missions to
Guadalcanal before reporting to the USS RENO (CL-96) as
 Communications Officer.  The RENO operated with Fast Carrier Task Forces
covering the occupation of Guam and the Philippines.

It was during this period when Commander Burkey was awarded the Bronze Star Medal
with "V" in connection with trying to save the USS PRINCETON
after she took a bomb from Japanese aircraft.

In September 1944, the RENO took a torpedo and returned to the United States via
Ulithi, Manus and the Panama Canal.

On 15 June 1945, Commander Burkey married the former Olivia Philabert of
Birmingham, AL in a ceremony held at the Charleston SC Navy Yard.

He then went on to serve as an Instructor at the Anti-Submarine Warfare School in Miami, FL
before reporting to the USS LEYTE (CV-32) as Communications Officer.  Following his tour
aboard the LEYTE, he reported to the U.S. Navy General Line School
at Newport, RI as a student and later staff officer.

From June 1950 to May 1951, CDR Burkey served as Executive Officer aboard the
USS JOHNSTON (DD-821), before reporting to KENNETH D. BAILEY.

From January 1953 until his retirement, he worked in the
 Logistics Section of  SACLANT Staff, Norfolk, VA.

The Olivia P. and Noel A. Burkey Center in Grant, Alabama was named
in honor of Captain and Mrs. Burkey.

In Dec 1952 the ship entered the BsnNavYd for modernization and conversion to a radar
picket destroyer.  She was decommissioned on December 22, 1952 and recommissioned as
 DDR-713 on 29 August 1953 with CDR Walter D. Gaddis, USN in command.

CDR Gaddis was born September 8, 1917, in Worland, WY.  He attended the
University of Wyoming and entered the Naval Academy in 1937.  After graduation, he was
assigned to Pearl Harbor and was aboard the battleship PENNSYLVANIA (BB-38)
 on Dec. 7, 1941.  During the remainder of the war he served aboard the
USS BARNES (CVE-20) and the USS WASP (CV-18) as a gunnery officer.

Before attaining flag rank, other afloat commands included the USS CONE (DD-866);
staff of Commander Destroyer Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet; Destroyer Division 302
as commander; USS YOSEMITE (AD-19) as commanding officer,
and Destroyer Squadron EIGHT as commander.

His assignments ashore included the Naval Postgraduate School as a student, naval inspector
of ordnance, Northern Pump Company; member of the Joint Staff with the Office of the JCS;
and Assistant Director with Budget and Reports for the Office of the Comptroller.  He was
Director of Programming and Finance with the Naval Material Command, when he was
promoted to Rear Admiral in 1968.  A few months later, he became Director Budget and
Reports with the Office of the Navy Comptroller and in 1970 was assigned to command
Amphibious Group One until 1972, when he became Assistant Deputy Chief of Naval
Operations Logistics. On April 12, 1973, he assumed the duties of Deputy Chief
 of Naval Operations Logistics and was promoted to the rank of Vice Admiral.

He was awarded the Legion of Merit with three gold stars, the Bronze Star with Combat V,
the Navy Commendation Medal with gold star and Combat V, and numerous other awards.

After a period of fitting out and refresher training, BAILEY departed for shakedown training
at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba in October 1953.  During this period visits to Kingston, Jamaica
and Port-au-Prince, Haiti, were made.  Having returned to New Bedford, Massachusetts
for a three-week holiday period in December, she finished shakedown training in
February 1954 and entered the BsnNavYd for a post-shakedown availability.


By QM2 Ed "Pete" Coghlan [SMCS, USN-RET] - (53-55)

We've had our stay in Cuba;
a fact we don't regret,
and we know many others
have got to face it yet.
We fought the battles bravely;
a sober and sunburned crew,
  Saying, with liberty as payment,
there's not much we won't do.
But there's a limit to everything
the crew at length decided,
when the Bailey and an ocean storm
out on the sea collided.
We knew that our liberty,
the storm would sure delay,
so everyone's mind was humming,
"storm, please go away".
The good ship Bailey,
about the sea was tossed,
and soon a few of the lads,
had given us up for lost,
renewed hope began to show,
on Saturday about five,
because it was quite apparent,
the storm was about to leave.
We passed the Nantucket Lightship
and there we changed our course,
heading straight for good old Boston,
settling everyones remorse.
Twas early in the morn,
when we dropped the hook,
and the lights gleaned from Boston,
with that ever inviting look.
A few hours of rest,
the crew was allowed to take,
then underway for Charlestown,
kicking up a terrible wake.
Well, here we are,
all safe and sound,
waiting to unload our ammo,
all hands round for round.
But soon the drudgery's over,
and we can all take a rest,
looking forward to Newport,
and a lonesome tin-can nest.

Upon completion of the yard period, the ship reported to Newport for
Type-Training and to prepare for distant duty in the Mediterranean.

BAILEY departed Newport for duty with the Sixth Fleet on 4 May 1954.
During the four month tour in the Med, the following ports were visited:
Algiers, Algeria; Taranto, Naples and Leghorn, Italy;
Toulon, Cannes, Marseille and St. Raphael, France;
Valencia, Spain; Piraeus, Greece; and Istanbul, Turkey.


Author Unknown

We are just across the ocean
on the BAILEY is the spot,
we are all doomed to spend our time
on the ship that god forgot.

Out with the waves and sea gulls
out where a man gets blue,
right in the middle of nowhere
three thousand miles from you.

We sweat, we freeze, we shiver,
it is more than a man can stand;
we are just suppose to be convicts
trying to defend our land.

We are men of the U.S. Navy
earning our measly pay,
guarding our country's millions
for a dollar and a half a day.

We are living in our memories
and dreaming of our gals,
and hoping while we are dreaming
they won't marry our pals.

No one knows that we are living
and no one gives a damn,
at home we are soon forgotten
we belong to Uncle Sam.

The time we spend in the Navy
all the times we have missed, proves
 "don't let the draft board get you"
and for gods sake "don't enlist".

But when we pass thru the pearly gates
you will hear St. Peter yell,
"fall in all you BAILEY boys,
you have spend your hitch in hell".

The photo shown above was taken in Algiers on 20 May 1954.
Other ships shown are the USS GHERARDI (DMS-30), USS MURRAY (DD-576),

Photo above shows KDB alongside USS GOODRICH (DDR-831),
USS NEWMAN K. PERRY (DDR-883), and USS TURNER (DDR-834) while in Greece.

While in the Sixth Fleet, the ship participated in 0peration KEYSTONE, a major NATO
exercise involving an amphibious landing in Turkey, and took part in ceremonies
at St. Raphael, commemorating the tenth anniversary of the initial
World War II allied landings in southern France.

Naval Station Newport showing Piers 1 and 2.

Pier 1 shown above.

Pier 2 shown above.

After her return to Newport in September 1954, the BAILEY underwent a tender availability
and then assumed duty as Afloat Engineering School ship for the
Destroyer Force, Atlantic Fleet.

The BAILEY was awarded the Destroyer Force, U.S. Atlantic Fleet, Battle Efficiency Award
for the fiscal year ending June 1954.

On 2 November 1955, CDR Donald A. Regan, USN (background),
relieved CDR Walter D. Gaddis, USN (speaking), as Commanding Officer.

  She again deployed to the Mediterranean from 5 November 1955 to 17 March 1956
visiting such ports as Naples (where she spent Christmas and New Year's),
Florence, Bari, Italy; Villefrance/Nice, France; and Barcelona, Spain.

In  February 1956, BAILEY was ordered through the Suez Canal
 and down the Red Sea along Israeli and Egyptian coasts to express U.S.
concern over the mounting Suez crises.  Here she called at Port Said, Egypt;
Jiddah, Arabia; Aden, Yemen; and Port Sudan, Africa.

During the period June - August 1956, BAILEY participated in Midshipman
Cruise ABLE, visiting Oslo, Norway and Hamburg, Germany.

In August 1956, she returned once again to her home port and Captain F. D. Riley, USN,
assumed command of Destroyer Division 82, USS KENNETH D. BAILEY Flagship.

On 1 December 1956, Destroyer Division 82 became Destroyer Division 142
and the BAILEY remained as flagship.

 In April 1957 she cruised the eastern Mediterranean in support of King Hussein's
pro-Western Jordanian government, then threatened by Communist subversion.

Highline transfer with the USS IOWA (BB-61).

One such stop during this cruise was made at Brindisi Italy shown below.

Getting ready to go alongside the USS WISCONSIN (BB-64) for refueling.

On 3 July 1957, Commander Joseph W. Philippbar, JR., USN, assumed command
of the USS KENNETH D. BAILEY (DDR-713), relieving CDR Donald A. Regan, USN.

During the period July - August 1957, the BAILEY participated in Midshipman Cruise
CHARLIE.  A visit to Quebec, Canada was made during this cruise.

In October 1957, Commander Harry McElwain, USN, assumed command of
Destroyer Division 142 with BAILEY remaining as Flagship.

On 17 July 1958, Captain Neal Algren, USN, assumed command of
Destroyer Division 142, USS KENNETH D. BAILEY (DDR-713) Flagship.

After the regularly assigned overhaul in BsnNavYd in late 1957, BAILEY commenced the cycle
of increasingly intricate operations which culminated in a seven month tour with the
Sixth Fleet from 2 September 1958 to 28 March 1959.

Getting ready to approach the USS CHUKAWAN (AO-100).  The USS FORRESTAL (CV-59) is already along side.

Ports of call were Rhodes, Athens, Naples, Livorno, Marseilles, Cannes, Monaco, Palma, and
Gibraltar before returning to Newport and Home.

Here she supported U.S. operations in Lebanon, begun in July 1958 at the request of
Lebanese President Chamoun, who feared a Communist Coup.

While on this deployment, RD3 Don Yena displayed his talents with the following sketches.

While on this deployment she was involved in a collision with the USNA HAITI VICTORY on March 4, 1959,
and suffered the loss of one shipmate, in addition to 24 shipmates receiving minor injuries.
The ship was patched up to cross the Atlantic on one shaft by Gibraltar Dockyard.
She then proceeded to the Boston Naval Shipyard for repairs.

<>KENNETH D. BAILEY shifted her homeport from Newport to Mayport, FL
leaving on Tuesday, 16 June 1959 and arriving on Friday, 19 June 1959.
The other ships from DesRon 14 accompanying her down south were the
 USS TURNER (DDR-834), USS POWER (DDR-839), and the

The above photo was taken from the USS JONAS INGRAM.

It was the first Destroyer Squadron ever homported there.

No, the above picture is not that of the BAILEY line handlers.  They were part of
the "Welcome to Mayport" folks who appear to be out of uniform. 
That's XO, LCDR Jack Butler keeping an eye on things.

Shortly thereafter, Captain Elmore F. Higgins, Jr., USN, relieved
Captain Neal Almgren, USN as Commander Destroyer Division ONE FOUR TWO

After completing destroyer operations in the Atlantic, she entered Charleston Naval Shipyard
on 26 January 1960 for a 9-month FRAM II overhaul.

On 1 March 1960, the BAILEY left Destroyer Squadron FOURTEEN
and joined Destroyer Squadron EIGHT.

CDR John A. Wiegard, USN (above),
relieved CDR Joseph W. Philippbar, JR., USN, on 14 September 1959.

CDR Wiegard was commissioned an Ensign, U.S. Naval Reserve, on June 16, 1943.
He is a graduate of Loyola College, Baltimore, Maryland.

During the war he served as Anti-Submarine Warfare Officer in USS EUNICE (PCE-846)
in Atlantic convoys, and in USS TOOELE (PC-572) in the Pacific.  After the war he was
commissioned in the Regular Navy and Commanded USS PC-572.

During the period from 1952 to 1954 he served as Executive Officer in
USS GEORGE K. MACKENZIE (DD-863).  Prior to becoming Commanding Officer of
the KENNETH D. BAILEY, he served as Assistant Naval Attache, Ankara, Turkey.

During the above FRAM II overhaul, the ship's fighting characteristics were modified with the
addition of new radars, sonar and improved communications which will give long range detection
capability for air, surface and subsurface. BAILEY is now capable of picket duty for widely
dispersed formations containing heavily armed cruisers, communications ships, and aircraft carriers.

 The familiar silhouette was changed to reflect additional working spaces,
the removal of the 3" Battery and depth charges, and the installation of advanced ASW
Torpedos.  A complete rejuvenation of the Engineering Plant occurred.
The end result of FRAM was to lengthen the life of the ship an additional five years.

She returned to Mayport on 27 October 1960, well prepared to help maintain American
security on the seas.  She sailed 14 November for waters off Guatemala and Nicaragua to
establish barrier patrols to prevent the landing of Cuban supplies and armed forces during
 small-scale revolts in those Central American nations.  She continued this important
duty until December, then returned to Mayport on 18 December 1960.

Commander Destroyer Squadron EIGHT hoisted his flag on BAILEY on 19 December 1960.

After spending the Christmas holidays of 1960 in Mayport, Florida, the BAILEY departed in
 January 1961 to participate in Atlantic Fleet exercises for a ten day period.  During these
exercises, the BAILEY encountered some of the roughest weather of her career;
but damage was held to a minimum and upon her return to Mayport, the weather
  which had been experienced became the topic for a great many sea stories.

Did you click on "roughest weather" hightlighted above?  It will
give you some idea what it would have been like.

On 18 February 1961, the BAILEY joined the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean Sea for a six
month cruise, during which time she played an active role in two major NATO exercises and
numerous Sixth Fleet exercises.  It was general consensus of opinion the BAILEY and the
Sixth Fleet were ready to perform any task upon which they may have been called.

While on the Mediterranean cruise, the BAILEY established a new record for rigging time
while refueling at sea; but competition is keen in the Sixth Fleet,
and the record has since been broken.

The "People-to-People" program was carried out in April 1961 (pictures shown below)
when the officers and men of the BAILEY
  attended a church service
in Athens in memory of a deceased Greek-American shipmate

(RM3 William Nicholas Tselios, USN).

The man's family and his friends were grateful for
the sympathy shown by the crew of the BAILEY.

Among the countries visited while the BAILEY was deployed were Italy, France, Lebanon,
Greece and Turkey; but after an absence of six months, the States were a welcome sight.

Following a brief leave and upkeep period, the BAILEY departed Mayport
for a brief yard period in Charleston, South Carolina.

On 18 November 1961, CDR James W. Gills, USN, (shown below),
relieved CDR John A. Wiegard, USN as Commanding Officer.

In November 1961, with a few hours notice, the ship with 60% of the crew on board steamed
south for exercises off the coast of the Dominican Republic.  During the ten day underway
period, the BAILEY refueled five times, sometimes at night, from both carrier and oiler.
The ship entered Roosevelt Roads at night and picked up 97 men for transfer
to other ships in the area.  The job was completed without incident.

From the end of the yard period to the first of the year, USS KENNETH D. BAILEY
spent most of her time conducting Type-Training.

Commander James W. Gills, USN, was born in Lynchburg, Virginia.
Graduating from Bluefield College in Bluefield, Virginia, he received
 his commission in the U.S. Naval Reserve on 7 December 1942.

From 1942 until 1946 he was stationed in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations
and at Fleet Training Center, Pearl Harbor.  In July 1946 while on duty in the
Bureau of Naval Personnel, he transferred to the Regular Navy.
Since then Commander Gills has again had duty in the Office of
  the Chief Naval Operations and the Bureau of Naval Personnel,
and on board the cruiser USS ALBANY (CA-123), the destroyers
 USS ALLEN M. SUMNER (DD-692) , USS O'HARE (DD-889), and cruiser

He also attended the Command and Staff Courses at the Naval War College, Newport, RI.
Prior to taking command of the KENNETH D. BAILEY, Commander Gills was Assistant
Director, Fleet Communications Division in the Office of the Chief of Naval Operations.

After being relieved as Commanding Officer of BAILEY on January 10, 1963,
Commander Gills served as Fleet Communications Officer on the staff of
CINCLANTFLT (02/63 - 04/65).  During this tour he was promoted to Captain.

Following his promotion Captain Gills served as Commander Destroyer Division 82
(12/65 - 10/66) and on the staff of the Defense Communications Agency (12/66 - 11/67).
Captain Gills retired on December 1, 1967 after 26 years of active naval service. 
Captain Gills currently resides in North Redington Beach, Florida.

In February 1962, BAILEY was part of the Task Force on station when
LTCOL John Glenn, USMC, orbited the Earth.  Ready and able,
   the BAILEY was in the recovery area for the three orbit shot.

The photo shown above was taken on 17 February 1962 from the
USS ANTIETAM (CV-36) when refueling  south of Bermuda.

May 1962

To the families of the Bailey:

This is the second in a recent series of "Family Grams" designed to keep you informed of the activities of the BAILEY
and your relatives on board the ship.  Since my last letter your husbands and sons have been instrumental in completion
of "four" competitive traning exercises in Gunnery and Engineeering.  These exercises are important
to maintain the condition of readiness required in today's Navy.

The ship is now in what is called a "tender availability" period in which we are tied alongside the destroyer tender,
USS YELLOWSTONE.  During this time minor repair work on machinery and equipment will be performed along with
the regular up-keep and preservation of the ship.  We are afforded the facilities of the tender work shops for our work.

On the 4th of June we depart for an Atlantic Fleet Exercise.  The remainder of our schedule shapes up as follows:

                                                                                                             04 - 06 June - Enroute Norfolk

                                                                                                             07 June - Embark USNA Midshipmen at Norfolk

                                                                                                             08 - 15 June - Training Exercises at Sea

                                                                                                             16 - 17 June - Inport Mayport

                                                                                                             18 - 22 June - Training Exercises at Sea

                                                                                                             23 - 24 June - Inport Mayport

                                                                                                             25 - 28 June - Exercises at Sea

                                                                                                             29 June - 05 July - Inport Gloucester, Mass.

                                                                                                             06 - 12 July - Task Force Operations at Sea

                                                                                                             13 July - Disembark Midshipmen at Norfolk - Enroute Mayport

                                                                                                             About 15 July - 3 August - Inport Mayport

                                                                                                             August 3 - February - Mediterranian Cruise

Once again, I might add, this schedule may change.  The destroyer is one of the most versitile ships in the fleet. 
When needed, they are always ready.  This has been said of destroyers in the past, and it will be said in the future. 
Dependability and readiness are the watchwords of the destroyer force.  Only through the efforts of every man on
every ship we will  maintain the standsrds expressed by those two words.  Your relatives and friends in this ship are
maintaining the strength of America.  You have every right to be proud of them.

Until our next Family-Gram - - - - - 


/s/ J. W. GILLS
Commander, U.S. Navy
Commanding Officer

P.S.  You may write to personnel on board the BAILEY as follows:

(Serviceman's name, rate and serial number)
(Division to which he is assigned)
Care of Fleet Post Office
New York, New York

July 1962 (as mentioned above) found BAILEY participating in LANTMIDCRU 1-62 and LANTFLEX 2-62.
During this period the ship visited Gloucester, Massachusetts over the 4th of July.
BAILEY deployed to the Med for duty with the Sixth Fleet in August 1962.

Picture below taken from the USS BOSTON (CA-69).

Enroute to the Med, the ship took part in Atlantic NATO exercise, OPERATION RIPTIDE III,
with our French, English and Portuguese allies.  This was only the first in a series of
NATO and Sixth Fleet exercises in which BAILEY was to play a part.

Other such NATO exercises included a Greek amphibious assault, a French anti-air warfare
exercise, and a British air defense exercise.  Sixth Fleet exercises were comprised of ASW
training, air defense, refueling, rearming and gunnery.  All were designed to bring
KENNETH D. BAILEY and the Sixth Fleet to peak efficiency.

The BAILEY was in Golfe Juan, France to greet the New Year of 1963.

On 10 January 1963, CDR James W. Gills, USN, was relieved as Commanding Officer by
CDR Lucius E. Steere, III, USN, while the BAILEY
 was conducting operations in the Tyrrhenian Sea.

Palermo, Sicily; Barcelona, Spain; and Rapallo, Italy were the last three stops
in the Sixth Fleet deployment.

Commander Steere was born in Washington, DC on July 11, 1920, the son of
Lucius E. and Elizabeth R. Steere, Jr., of McLean, Virginia.

He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in June 1944,
and reported on board the USS DENVER (CL-58) in August of that year.
  Upon completion of this tour in the gunnery and operations departments, he was
assigned to the Staff of Commander Alaskan Sea Frontier as Flag Secretary and Personal Aide
to Admiral Freeland A. Danbin and Admiral A. E. Montgomery.

The Commander completed Submarine School at New London, Connecticut in 1948 and
reported to the USS SIRAGO (SS-485).  In 1951, he was reassigned to the
U.S. Naval Academy as an instructor in Marine Engineering until 1953
when he reported to the USS CONGER (SS-477) as Executive Officer.

In August 1955, he reported to the Staff of the Commandant 9th Naval District to serve as
Submarine Naval Reserve Program Coordinator.  Upon graduation from the Armed Forces
Staff College at Norfolk, Virginia, CDR Steere became Executive Officer of the
USS NOA (DD-841).  Before taking  Command of the BAILEY, he had duty
  with NATO as Assistant Training Officer (ASW Ships) on the Staff of the
Supreme Allied Commander in Chief Atlantic.

Following his tour aboard the BAILEY, he reported to COMASWFORLANT,
where he participated in war games, tracking Russian submarines operating in the
Atlantic and conducting operational analysis for intelligence purposes.

After retirement he became a math teacher in Norfolk, VA.

A veteran of World War II, the Commander wears the National Defense Medal,
American Theatre Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Medal, Philippine Liberation Ribbon
and the World War II Victory Medal.

kd bailey off mayport

On the 2nd of March 1963, the BAILEY returned to Mayport, having completed
seven months away from her home port.  The ship was the last of the destroyers to
spend a six month tour with the Sixth Fleet for a total of seven months away from home port.

The BAILEY spent the Spring months of 1963 in maintenance, upkeep,
and going to sea as Sonar School Ship at Key West, Florida.

Prior to departure for regular shipyard overhaul, the ship was given her Insurv Inspection
by officers from the Office of Chief of Naval Operations.
Results - BAILEY "Ready for War" in all respects.

In June, the BAILEY left Mayport for a three month overhaul at Charleston Naval Shipyard
in Charleston, South Carolina.  The ship was equipped with a new long range air search radar,
AN/SPS-30, and a variable depth sonar.  The additions improved the ship's
capabilities in anti-air and anti-submarine warfare.

Leaving the yard on 10 September, the BAILEY returned to Mayport for three weeks prior
to departure on 1 October for refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

The BAILEY's scheduled arrival in Cuba was delayed by Hurricane Flora which was dodged
effectively by independent steaming and later as a part of a "Hurricane evasion force."

On 7 October, the BAILEY arrived in Guantanamo and spent the next five weeks in intensive
training in gunnery, ASW, seamanship, damage control, and engineering exercises.
Each department was thoroughly tested and received a good basic groundwork in all shipboard
evolutions.  The result was a well coordinated team ready to accept any mission in the Fleet.

On departure from Cuba, the BAILEY steamed to Culebra and there
qualified as a gunfire support ship for the year.

A weekend in San Juan, Puerto Rico followed and then the ship fired for three days
on the Island of Vicques as part of a Marine amphibious exercise.

Leaving the Caribbean, the ship stopped in Key West to act as sonar school ship prior to her
return to Mayport.  On the 29th of November, the BAILEY returned once more to her
home port having spent two months in refresher training and operations in the Caribbean area.

The months of December 1963 and January 1964 found the BAILEY in upkeep,
tender availability, and Christmas leave for members of the crew.

On the 8th of February, BAILEY sailed for the Med arriving in Istanbul, Turkey
with the USS SPRINGFIELD (CLG-7) [COMSIXTHFLT], on 5 March 1964.

Many exciting things were in store. 

Gunnery exercises with a French task unit, recovery of a downed aviator
from the USS ENTERPRISE (CVN-65) who had punched out and special
operations for evaluation of an oil burner as part of a nuclear task group.

along with the BAILEY steaming like "30 Knot Burke" went back
and forth from theEastern Med to the Western over night.

During off weekends the ship visited Naples, Livorno, Genoa, Italy;
Corfu, Greece; Golfe Juan and St. Raphael, France; Catania, Palma and Barcelona, Spain.

The ENTERPRISE left for her round the world cruise and the BAILEY rejoined
ComDesRon 8 for the trip back to Mayport arriving on 9 August.

From 17 August 1964 to 26 February 1966, CDR Robert M. Collins, USN, was in command.

Commander Collins, born in Strawn, Texas, began his naval career in November, 1942
in the Naval Reserve College Training Program.  Upon graduation from Columbia University
Midshipman School in December, 1944, he was then commissioned an Ensign in the U.S. Navy.
He graduated from the University of Oklahoma and the Armed Forces Staff College.

His first assignment as Ensign was as ASW Officer aboard USS O'NEILL (DE-188), followed
by assignment as Gunnery Officer aboard USS KYNE (DE-744).  In the following years
and through the ranks he served as Executive Officer aboard USS PCE-886,
USS PCEC-873 and USS COWELL (DD-547), and as Commanding Officer
of the USS PCS-1385, USS PCEC-886, USS PIVOT (MSO-463),

He also served with the Mine Warfare Evaluation Detachment as Air Laid Mines project
officer; Head, Officer Education and Training Branch, Bureau of Naval Personnel;
Chief Staff Officer of Amphibious Squadron FOUR; Operations Officer of River
Flotilla ONE in the Republic of Vietnam; Chief of Staff and Aide to the
Commander Cruiser Destroyer Flotilla THREE and Chief of Staff and
Aide to the Commander Amphibious Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet.
He was also attached to Headquarters, U.S. Strike Command.

Upon his selection to Rear Admiral, he served as Commander Service Group THREE,
Commander Naval Surface Group, Western Pacific, Commander Task Force SEVENTY THREE,
Commander Mobile Logistics Support Force, U.S. SEVENTH FLEET and as Deputy
Commander, Defense Mapping Agency in Washington, DC.

He retired from active duty in July 1979.

Rear Admiral Collins' decorations include two Silver Star Medals, the Legion of Merit with
Combat "V", three Bronze Star Medals and Combat "V", four Purple Hearts, seven
Air Medals and the Navy Commendation Medal with Combat "V".

Also, two Presidential Unit Citations and two Navy Unit Commendations, earned with the
Mobile Riverine Force, the Joint Service Commandation Medal, the Combat Action Ribbon
 and the Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm.  He has also earned many campaign
 and service medals, including the Vietnam Campaign Medal with seven stars.

Rear Admiral Collins and his wife, the former Joy Dobry of Elk City, Oklahoma,
have lived in San Antonio since their retirement in 1979.

Beginning 15 Feb 1965, the ship participated in LANTFLEX-65 in the Jacksonville Operating
Area for a period of one week.  BAILEY was enroute to the Caribbean on 23 February
to participate in SPRINGBOARD-65 in the Puerto Rico Operating Area FIREX-65
at Vicques Island and to visit San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Commencing 15 March 1965, the ship entered Aerojet General Shipyard, Jacksonville,
for a two-week availability for shaft and hull repairs.

The first two weeks in April the ship participated in Type-Training in the Virginia Capes and
Jacksonville Operating Areas.  Upon returning to Mayport, BAILEY entered
a period of preparation for Mediterranean deployment.

On May 17, 1965, the ship sailed for the Mediterranean and the Sixth Fleet.  The first ports
of call were Toulon and Cannes, France.  In this exercise, Dutch and British units operated
 with the Sixth Fleet.  The ship visited Barcelona at the end of June.

Above photo taken from the USS CHIKASKIA (AO-54) during refueling operation

On 1 July 1965 BAILEY became a unit of Cruiser-Destroyer Flotilla SIX.  From 1 July 1964
through 30 June 1965, she had been a unit of Cruiser-Destroyer Flotilla EIGHT.

In July BAILEY and USS FARRAGUT (DLG-6) visited Sestri Levante, Italy,
the first U.S. warships to call there since World War II.

Following a tender availability in Naples, the ship visited Genoa where two Belgian exchange
officers embarked for a five-week cruise.  Visits to Castellon, Spain; Palma, Mallorca;
Fiunicino, Italy (a training anchorage); and Barcelona, Spain were then made.

 On 12 Sep 1965 the ship left for the Sixth Fleet and headed for home,
arriving at Mayport on the 20th.  BAILEY participated in Type-Training in the
Jax Ops Area  from 25 October to 10 November.

On 29 November, BAILEY was underway to the Caribbean for Anti-Submarine Warfare
and Amphibious exercises, and a port visit to San Juan, Puerto Rico.
She returned to Mayport on 17 December for the holiday leave period.

BAILEY began the New Year of 1966 in her home port of Mayport, Florida.

After a period of leave and upkeep and a three week tender availability, BAILEY
was underway on 31 January 1966 for a week of plane guard operations
in the Virginia Capes operating area with USS INTREPID (CV-11).

BAILEY was next underway on 21 February bound for the Caribbean operating areas
and participation in Operation SPRINGBOARD-66.

On 26 February, with BAILEY at anchor in the beautiful harbor of Charlotte Amalie,
 St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, CDR Herman E. Fritzke, Jr., USN, relieved
CDR Robert M. Collins, USN, as Commanding Officer.

From Chicago, Commander Fritzke, was graduated from the
U.S. Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, New York, in 1948.

He sailed as a deck officer and was employed in the
office of steamship companies on both coasts prior to entering the Navy.  In the Navy his
 shore assignments have been as an instructor with the Military Sea Transportation Service,
North Pacific Sub Area, and as Fleet Mobilization and Personnel Plans Officer,
Staff Commander Service Force, U.S. Pacific Fleet.

His sea duty has been as Gunnery Officer, USS GENERAL W.A. MANN (T-AP-112),
Ops Officer, USS PIEDMONT (AD-17), Ops Officer, USS RENSHAW (DDE-499),
Executive Officer, USS EPPERSON (DD-719), and XO, USS PONCHATOULA (AO-148).

Prior to reporting to KENNETH D. BAILEY, Commander Fritzke attended the
U.S. Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, California (degree of Master of Science in
Management conferred), and the U.S. Naval School, Transportation Management,
Naval Supply Center, Oakland, California.

After two weeks of Type-Training and a port call at San Juan, Puerto Rico,
BAILEY returned to home port, visiting Miami, Florida enroute.

A few days after Easter, on 12 April 1966,
BAILEY was again on the way to the Caribbean for Operation LEAPFROG
in company with other units of DESDIV 81, USS FARRAGUT (DLG-6) and
 USS LUCE (DLG-7).  During the following 2 l/2 weeks, training was conducted
and port visits were made to St. Croix, Virgin Islands and San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Beginning 29 April 1966 BAILEY was back in Mayport, preparing for an Insurv Inspection
which was held on 9-10 May 1966.  On 31 May 1966, the ship commenced its preparation for
deployment to the Mediterranean.  The preparation was interrupted when Mayport units were
required to sortie for evasion of Hurricane ALMA on 9 and 10 June.  All ships in the
 Mayport basin were forced to get underway on very short notice to
evade the hurricane and avoid damage.

On 15 June 1966, BAILEY sailed for the Caribbean for the third time in 1966 and in
preparation for transit and deployment in the Mediterranean.  After a brief visit to
St. Croix on 18-19 June, BAILEY rendezvoused on 22 June with the

BAILEY entered the Mediterranean and joined the Sixth Fleet on 1 July 1966,
relieving the USS SEMMES (DDG-18) at Pollensa Bay, Mallorca.
Nine midshipmen from the U.S. Naval Academy reported aboard
at that time for two weeks of observation and practical training.

The first ports of call was Imperia Bay on the Italian Riviera;  and Rapallo, Italy.
After participating with British naval units in a Sixth Fleet exercise,  POKER HAND III,
  BAILEY anchored in Taormina Roads, Sicily for a visit to Giardini and Taormina.
BAILEY acted as a submarine detection picket and air raid early warning ship

Following a port visit to Palermo, Sicily in early August, BAILEY
 participated in an Amphibious Exercise - PHIBLEX 1-67.

During the latter half of August, visits were made to Taranto and Crotone in Southern Italy,
followed by a brief stop at Argostoli Bay, Greece, a training anchorage.
While in Palermo, all hands were turned to for a concentrated upkeep period.
   Seven more midshipmen were received on board for six weeks of training.

The weeks between 5 August and 27 August 1967 were spent visiting
Taranto and Crotone, Italy, and participating in exercises and drills
with other units of the fleet in the Mediterranean.

Above photo shows BAILEY pulling alongside the USS CLAUDE RICKETTS (DDG-5)

During the first two weeks in September, BAILEY was assigned a tender availability
with USS SHENANDOAH (AD-26) in Valleta, Malta.

After leaving Valletta, BAILEY participated in Exercise Lafayette 1-67, a joint U.S.,
British, and French exercise in the Western Mediterranean.

Above photo shows BAILEY being overshadowed by the

BAILEY entered Barcelona, Spain on 24 September 1966 and then Palma, Mallorca in early
October. While in Barcelona, 24 September to 3 October, the annual administrative
inspection was conducted by Commander, Destroyer Squadron EIGHT.

The last Mediterranean port to be visited in 1966 was Palma, Mallorca, 5-11 October.

Transiting the Straits of Gibraltar on 14 October, BAILEY stopped at Rota, Spain
for turnover to the USS COYNGHAM (DDG-17).  Underway from Rota 16 October
and leaving the Sixth Fleet, BAILEY joined SARATOGA (CVA-60), FARRAGUT and LUCE
for the Trans-Atlantic crossing, arriving in Mayport on 26 October 1966.

On 29 October, BAILEY personnel participated in the Change-of-Command for Commander
Destroyer Squadron EIGHT on board FARRAGUT, as Captain P. E. Arbo, USN,
relieved Captain W. D. Gaddis, USN.

CAPT Gaddis (shown below), served as CO of the BAILEY
from 29 August 1953 to 2 November 1955, retiring
from active duty in August 1975 as a Vice Admiral.

The months of November and December 1966 were spent in her home port
 of Mayport, Florida undergoing important repairs.

The beginning of the year 1967 found USS KENNETH D. BAILEY (DDR-713),
commanded by CDR Herman E. Fritzke, USN, in its home port of Mayport, Florida.
After five weeks of leave and upkeep, on 10 February, the ship got underway for the Caribbean
in the company of USS MEREDITH (DD-890) and USS HARWOOD (DD-861)
with COMDESDIV 142 in tactical command.

Joining the SPRINGBOARD exercises on 13 February,  BAILEY began two weeks
of intensive Type-Training in ASW, AAW, and Gunfire Support
with other units of the U.S. Atlantic Fleet.

After a port visit to San Juan, P.R. and a final replenishment exercise,
the ship began her return to Mayport arriving on 26 February.

After a period of leave and upkeep, she got underway on 24 March for a second trip to the
Caribbean and SPRINGBOARD.  While in the Caribbean, she represented the U.S. Navy
at the semi-centennial anniversary of the purchase of the Virgin Islands.  On
 5 April, COMDESRON EIGHT conducted an Operational Readiness Inspection of the ship.

From the Caribbean, she returned to Mayport where a day-and-a-half was spent making last
minute preparations before departing for Charleston, SC and a five-month overhaul period.
The ship left Mayport 11 April and began a pre-overhaul tender availability
alongside USS EVERGLADES (AD-24) in Charleston on 13 April.
  On 1 May, KENNETH D. BAILEY began its regular overhaul
at the Charleston Naval Shipyard.

Due to a shortage of Type Commanders funds a large percentage of the work scheduled to be
accomplished by the shipyard was cancelled, particularly in the areas
 of the main machinery spaces and electronics.

Work of  major scope undertaken by the shipyard included:
repair of number three boiler which had been CASREPT for a year;
 rebricking of numbers three and four boilers;
overhaul of the AN/WLR-1A ECM receiving set;
 overhaul of the Mk 25 fire control radar and Mk 1A fire control computer;
repair of number two ship's service operator;
and routine repairs and preservation of the ship's underwater hull, shafts and propellers.

ShipAlts accomplished by the shipyard resulted in nearly a complete overhaul of the
ship's underwater sound system.  The AN/SQA-10 transducer was removed from
  the ship for a complete overhaul, the VDS hoist was converted to a completely hydraulic
system, and an additional console was installed in UB plot for use with the VDS sonar.
  The AN/SQS-29 hull-mounted sonar also received a Class "B" overhaul.

Other ShipAlts completed by the shipyard gave KENNETH D. BAILEY a considerably
improved electronics installation.  Radio Central was completely remodeled for the
addition of KW-7 TSEC and KG-14/TSEC on-line cryptographic equipment and the
AN/UCC-1 multiplex converter. Many teletypes were added and nearly
all of the former teletype systems were replaced.

Addition of the AN/SLA-10 pulse blanker, AN/WLR-3 countermeasures receiver,
and AN/WLA-2 radiofrequency amplifier improved and enlarged the ship's ECM capability.
Partial completion of a SingleSideband ShipAlt gave the ship two R-1051 receivers and an
AN/WRC-1 transceiver as replacements for old R-390/URR receivers and a TCS transmitter.

The real story of the shipyard period, however, is the effort of ship's force to accomplish
overhaul and repair to equipment on which normal shipyard work was cancelled.  Among the
larger ship's force projects, and not to mention time-consuming routine maintenance, were:

Rebricking number one and number two boilers and repair of the ship's evaporators.

Gunners Mates overhauled all three gun mounts.

Electronics technicians overhauled the AN/SPS-37 radar, the IFF system,
the UHF communication system, and Loran.

They made major repairs to the AN/SPS-10 and AN/SPS-30 radars,
 TACAN, six radar repeaters, and the HF communications system.

New or rebuilt equipment installed by ship's force included:
all ECM antennas, all UHF antennas,
a new antenna for the AN/SPS-37 radar,
two AN/GRC-27 transceivers, three TED transmitters, five AN/URR-35 receivers,
 and AN/SPA-4F and AN/SPA-59 radar repeaters.

 Work was completed a week early earning a congratulatory message from

Ship's force efforts to complete repairs did not end with leaving the yard, nor, for that matter,
for the remainder of the year.  KENNETH D. BAILEY left the yards for a post-overhaul
TAV alongside EVERGLADES on 28 August.  During this time, final touches were put
on tender  and shipyard jobs, the crew was drilled in at-sea functions,
and the ship was loaded out with ammunition.

The ship departed Charleston 7 September for Mayport.

In the two-week period in its home port, BAILEY was underway conducting independent
ship's exercises for three days, in addition to which a day was devoted to a family cruise.

On 20 September, CDR David McLeod Greathouse, USN, relieved CDR Fritzke
as Commanding Officer in ceremonies aboard ship in Mayport.  Two days later
the ship departed for refresher training at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.

Commander Greathouse was born January 7, 1928 in Fort Worth, Texas.
After graduating from Paschal High School in Fort Worth in January 1945,
he attended Tulane University and the University of Texas
before entering the Navy on February 27, 1946.

He went through Boot Camp at San Diego and then went on to Bainbridge, Maryland
to attend the Naval Academy Prep School.  He then graduated with the
Class of 1951 at the U.S. Naval Academy.

His first sea assignment was aboard the USS CLARENCE K. BRONSON (DD-668) for
service in Korea.  He then commanded the USS WEATHERFORD (EPC-618)
in ASW test and evaluation work out of Key West for two years.

His next assignment was with the Fifteenth Naval District, Panama Canal Zone,
serving as staff secretary, director of training, and military assistance
program officer for Latin America.

Navy Postgraduate School in Monterey, California was his next stop in underwater
weapons.  He then served as Executive Officer of the USS BROWNSON (DD-868)
before being assigned as Commanding Officer of the USS MALOY (DE-791) out of
New London, Connecticut where he was involved in underwater weapons research.

COMCRUDESLANT in Newport, RI was his next stop as he served on the
staff as Weapons Officer.  Command of the USS K.D. BAILEY (DDR-713)
followed before finishing out his career as Assistant Branch Head for
Surface ASW R&D in the Pentagon followed by Assistant
Branch Head for Strategic Systems R&D.

Commander Greathouse retired from active duty on September 1, 1971.

He is married to the former Margarite Amador Lopez from Cardenas, Cuba
who he met while aboard the WEATHERFORD.

He settled in Fredericksburg, Texas where he spent a
lot of his time as a volunteer at the Nimitz Museum.

Upon arrival at Guantanamo, Fleet Training Group inspectors noted a number of material
and administrative discrepancies which were considered restrictive
to the conduct of Refresher training.

Training was nevertheless begun on 25 September and was conducted during the day while
efforts to correct discrepancies were made at night and on weekends.  By the middle of
October, however, sufficient progress had not yet been made especially in the main
 propulsion spaces and on key electronics equipment.  The ship was placed in an upkeep
 status with the Ship's Repair Department at Guantanamo for the week of 16-22 October.

Refresher training was resumed on 23 October. Still enough  problems remained
however, to hamper the efficient conduct of training.
A second upkeep period was assigned from 26 October to 12 November.

During this second upkeep period, with both Ships Repair Department
and the ship's crew working nearly around the clock,
repairs were finally made sufficient to allow KENNETH D. BAILEY
to resume RefTra on 13 November. On 30 November, the ship was given its ORI.  Despite the
shortened and broken period of training, KENNETH D. BAILEY was awarded an adjective
grade of satisfactory for its ORI.  Of particular note was the ship's grade of 84 for its ASW ORI
as this was the second highest mark assigned to any destroyer for the preceding six months.

For its achievements, both in training and maintenance while at Guantanamo, K. D. BAILEY
received a "well done" from COMCRUDESLANT, COMTRALANT,

From Guantanamo, KENNETH D. BAILEY steamed for Culebra Island for gunfire support
qualifications on 2 December.  After a brief port visit at Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas,
on 3 December, the ship set course for Mayport.
Home port was reached the morning of 6 December.

The end of 1967 found KENNETH D. BAILEY again in home port in a leave and upkeep
status. As during most of the year, primary emphasis was being placed on improvement of
material condition, this time in preparation from a Spring deployment to the U.S. Sixth Fleet.

The first four days of the new year, 1968, found the KENNETH D. BAILEY finishing a
four week leave and upkeep period in her homeport, Mayport, FL.  On 5 January 1968,
the radar picket destroyer, commanded by Cdr D.M. Greathouse, USN, went to sea
for four days of ASW exercises with the nuclear powered submarine,

On 9 January 1968, the ship returned to Mayport for a final tender availability before
her Mediterranean cruise.  BAILEY held engineering trials at sea on 28 February,
and spent the following week in Mayport taking on provisions for her
4 ½ month Mediterranean deployment.

Pictured above alongside the BAILEY in Mayport is the USS GOODRICH (DDR-831),
and USS TURNER (DDR-834).  The USS ESSEX (CV-9) is in the background.

At 0900, on 6 March, BAILEY shifted colors and was underway for the Mediterranean Sea.
After a one day refueling stop at NavSta, Bermuda on 8 March, the ship  pointed her bow
across the Atlantic toward Punta Del Gada, Azores.  After spending two days in
Punta Del Gada, KENNETH D. BAILEY steamed toward Gibralta for
her turnover with the USS GOODRICH (DD-831).

On 17 March, BAILEY arrived in Gibralta, conducted turnover, and departed for
Valletta, Malta.  Three days later, BAILEY with Attack Carrier Task
Force 60.2, dropped anchor in Valletta, Malta.

On the 29th of March, BAILEY anchored in Soudha Bay, Crete. 
The following day, saw the Task Force enroute from Crete
to operations in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea.

Upon completion of nine hard days of training at sea, BAILEY, still operating with
Task Group 60.2, arrived in Athens, Greece for rest and relaxation.
One week later the ship was underway for Palermo, Sicily, with the

On 20 April, the three ships arrived at Palermo for a one week visit.  While in Palermo,
BAILEY sailors cleaned and painted several rooms of a tuberculosis
hospital and distributed
numerous handclasp materials. 

Also, while there, the Supply Department received an invitation to bowl in an
exhibition match.  When they arrived at the alley's, little did they realize that they
would be bowling against the National Italian Team.  Bleachers were set up along the
alley pair and did bring in a crowd of spectators.  Of course the BAILEY boys were beaten
rather soundly but had a great time and all were treated to dinner with the Italian team after the match.

The morning of 29 April, found the BAILEY leaving Sicily
enroute for the rendezvous area of NATO exercise Dawn Patrol.  During the twelve day
exercise, BAILEY, simulating opposing forces, maneuvered smartly and was commended
by Commander, Mediterranean (South East), for a "splendid job of work."

The crew was amply rewarded for their hard work at sea when the ship pulled into Palma de
Mallorca, Spain, on 14 May, with the USS ZELLARS (DD-777),
USS J.P. KENNEDY (DD-850), USS HOIST (ARS-40), and the
USS RUNNER (AGSS-476).  The crew thoroughly enjoyed the warm beaches
and the friendly people of the Spanish city.

On 23 May, the ship was once again underway and spent the next two days completing several
gunnery, ASW, and engineering competitive exercises.  Exercise POOK DECK, involving air,
surface, and sub-surface units of the United States and Spain, commenced on 27 May.
For both days of the exercise, BAILEY conducted intensive AAW and ASW drills.
Steaming in both screening and picket stations, the ship
 smartly carried out its functions in the exercise.

On the last of May, BAILEY tied up alongside the USS SHENANDOAH (AD-26) in
Valletta, Malta, for a tender availability period. During the stay in Valletta, a
 drone detachment team, drone aircraft, and a fire fish were taken on board to provide
services for gunnery exercises.  Six midshipmen from the U.S. Naval Academy
and two Portuguese Ensigns also came aboard for six weeks training.

Pictured (above) alongside the SHENANDOAH, (along with the BAILEY),
is the USS MYLES C. FOX (DD-829) and USS JAMES C. OWENS (DD-776)

On 10 June, LCDR J.C. Kraft relieved LCDR W.D. Holloman as Executive Officer.
Two days later, the ship headed south for Filfla Rock to conduct gun fire support
competitive exercises.  Fleet Anniversary Parade Exercise (FLAPEX), to celebrate the
20th anniversary of the Sixth Fleet, was rehearsed on 23 and 24 June.

On 25 June, FLAPEX was conducted with more than thirty Sixth Fleet combatant and service
force ships.  During this impressive spectacle, which was viewed by
General L.L. Lemnitzer, Supreme Allied Commander Europe,
and a host of other dignitaries and newsmen; the  BAILEY shot down a
self launched drone, fired a 20 gun salute, and participated in the pass in review.

Upon completion of FLAPEX, BAILEY was detached with the USS ZELLARS and the
USS SHANGRI-LA (CV-38) and arrived in Genoa, Italy on 28 June.  A surprise inspection
was conducted on 2 July by Commander Destroyer Division 262 and was passed with an overall
mark of excellent.  BAILEY departed Genoa and started the three day trip to
Rota, Spain, and turnover with the USS CHARLES F. ADAMS (DDG-2).

After turnover on 13 July, the BAILEY, in company with the USS RICKETTS (DDG-5) and the
USS BARNEY (DDG-6), pointed her bow toward the Atlantic and home.  She arrived at
NavSta Mayport, FL on the morning of 23 July for a period of leave and upkeep.

On 10 September, the BAILEY was underway for NATO exercise "Silver Tower" in the
North Atlantic.  After twenty-one days at sea. some of which were on picket stations
north of the Artic Circle, the ship entered the locks of Amsterdam, Holland, with
the USS GRAND CANYON (AD-28) and the USS BORDELON (DD-881).
The transit back home began four days later.

On 10 October, Rear Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, Jr., COMCRUDESFLOT Twelve,
shifted his flag to the BAILEY and stayed aboard until arrival in Mayport on 14 October.

The BAILEY was ordered to execute her recall bill on 18 October 1968, to ger underway
to avoid Hurricane Glayds.  Returning to Mayport on the afternoon of the 20th, the
BAILEY resumed preparations for departure to San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The remainder of the year found BAILEY in Mayport, FL for a TAV period with the
USS YELLOWSTONE (AD-27).  Leave period started on the 18th of December
and almost one half of the crew enjoyed Christmas with their families.

On 1/1/69 the BAILEY reverted to DD-713.

As 1969 commenced, the BAILEY was underway for San Juan, Puerto Rico and an
extended TAV and self-help period while attached to Operation "Springboard".

In January 1969, while in San Juan, PR, CDR Harold Michael Joseph "Hal" Lewis, USN,
assumed duties as last Commanding Officer of the K.D. BAILEY.

Born on January 28, 1928, in Albany, NY, Captain Lewis graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy
in the 18th Company with the Class of 1952.  Following graduation, he married the former
Betty Boone of Bethesda, MD, with the traditional Arch of Swords to begin 28 years of
life in the Navy, followed by a second career in the aerospace industry.

<>As an ordnance engineering specialist, he participated in the original
Polaris missile development, firing the first sea-launched Polaris from the
, (E-AG-154) the Navy's laboratory test ship;
and later, as test engineer for the SSBN (submarine) launch.

He served as operations officer, executive officer and commanding officer in destroyers
and in five cruiser-destroyer flotilla staff positions from Lieutenant to Captain.

After his final Washington tour as Vice Commander of the Naval Ordnance Laboratory,
Captain Lewis completed active duty as Range Director, Pacific Missile Test Range,
Point Magu, CA., where he received the Legion of Merit from the
President of the United States.

Retiring in 1980, Captain Lewis began a second career in the test range business with
Computer Sciences Corp., as Vice President of Applied Technology Division,
operating at Edwards AFB, CA.  Later he consulted with Northrup Grumman Corporation.

Captain Lewis passed away on October 22, 2008, and was laid to rest at the
Southern Nevada Veterans Memorial Cemetery in Boulder City, NV.

Upon completion of the San Juan TAV in February 1969, BAILEY headed for
Guantanamo Bay and a brief refresher training period followed by gunnery
qualifications.  BAILEY returned to her homeport of Mayport in late
March expecting several months of normal upkeep and leave.

However, in April 1969, BAILEY was called upon to replace another destroyer
unable to meet deployment commitments due to engine failures.  Thus, on
very short notice, the KENNETH D. BAILEY was underway to join the
6th Fleet on what would turn out to be her final deployment.

After traditional stopovers in Bermuda and the Azores, the BAILEY turned over to
the 6th Fleet in early May.  During the next 4 1/2 months, the BAILEY carried
out her normal picket destroyer duties participating in several fleet exercises
in both eastern and western Mediterranean venues. 

Ports visited were Naples, Italy; Valette, Malta; Barcelona, Spain; and Palme de Majoca.

However, the BAILEY made a stopover in Monaco from June 28, 1969 to July 8, 1969,
and on July 4th was treated with a surprise visit from Princess Grace along with her
son, Albert, as shown below, escorted by Captain Lewis.

The BAILEY received her decommissioning order in August 1969 while deployed
to the 6th Fleet.  The ship returned to Mayport in October 1969 and commenced
preparations for decommissioning and the eventual trip to Orange, TX.

On 5 January 1970, a Farewell Ceremony was held in Mayport. 
Lieutenant Commander Donald L. Schroeder, USN, Executive Officer, made welcoming remarks.

Lieutenant Cephas D. Williamson, CHC, U.S. Naval Reserve and Chaplain 
for Destroyer Squadron FOURTEEN  gave the invocation.

Speakers following the invocation were:

Captain Stephen L. Rush, U.S. Navy, Commander Destroyer Squadron FOURTEEN.

Rear Admiral Roderick O. Middleton, U.S. Navy, Commander Cruiser-Destroyer Flotilla TWELVE.

Commander Harold M. J. Lewis, Jr., Commading Officer, USS KENNETH D. BAILEY (DD-713).

 On January 20, 1970, BAILEY was decommissioned and placed in "Commission in Reserve."

Placed in "Out of Commission in Reserve" on 4/2/70.

She was stricken from the Naval Vessel Register on 2/1/74.

BAILEY was sold on 1/13/75 and then towed from Orange, TX in the Spring of 1975
to Khorramshar, the Iranian Naval Base across from hostile Iraq.

The BAILEY was bought by the Shah of Iran's government as a source of spare parts,
to maintain two former U.S. destroyers (the STORMES DD-780 and ZELLARS DD-777).
She was renamed (in English it was "Cheetah") but never set sail in the Iranian Navy.
She was docked in Iran at the time of the revolution, and was
  finally scrapped by the Islamic Navy in 1993.